Chapter 10 Additional Discussion & Writing Prompts
Chapter 10: Writing
Additional Discussion & Writing Prompts
1. Describe some situations in which written communication is more appropriate than verbal communication. Are there situations where either is equally appropriate? What about where verbal is preferred?
2. Discuss why many jobs openings include “excellent written and verbal communication skills” under the job requirements section. Name some jobs and the situations in which an employee might have to exercise such skills.
3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using a chronological resume as opposed to a functional or a combination resume. Compare the functional and the combination resume in the same way.
4. Write an essay about what you have learned so far and how it has applied to your academic career. Choose three major topics from the chapters to discuss. Apply the five paragraph essay style discussed in the subsection titled “The Essay.” Be sure to apply the “Best Practices” to your essay.
5. Imagine that you are about to graduate. Go to an Internet job board, like Monster.com, and find a job listing that appeals to you and the skills and knowledge you hope to develop through your degree program. Based on the information and job description you find on the posting, write a cover letter to the hiring manager that would be sent along with your resume.