Chapter 5 Additional Discussion & Writing Prompts
Chapter 5: Using Critical Thinking
Additional Discussion & Writing Prompts
1. Discuss common situations in college where it is easy to commit the Bandwagon Fallacy.
2. Discuss times in your past where you’ve had to think critically. Also, think about times in college you’ve had to use critical thinking and imagine some areas in the future where this skill will be necessary.
3. Discuss a situation and use the Socratic Method to critically think through it.
4. Write about a problem you’ve experienced in college and discuss the steps of critical thinking. Tell how you handled the problem and then discuss how it could have been handled better.
5. Write your own definition of critical thinking. Then discuss its relevance to your present life.
6. Write about a situation in your life. Perform a root cause analysis and evaluate the available information. Write how you will effectively communicate the information to those connected to the problem and how to make an informed decision and act on it.